Thursday, December 2, 2010

Life After Gallbladder Removal

Three weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed, something that normally doesn't happen until you're in your 50s. Because of the rapid weight loss that happened as a result of the Gastroparesis (85lbs. now), I ended up with gallstones, thus the removal of the gallbladder I had been SO attached to for 30 years. The surgery itself went well. I had a little bit of a hard time waking up from the anesthetic (which is normal for me), but other than that everything went fine. Naturally, I was quite sore...I mean, the surgeon did go into my abdomen and make scrambled eggs, or at least that's what it felt like! Things went well the first 2 nights, then the 3rd night came...that's when I got the hiccups! OHMYLANTA! Talk about an experience you'll never forget! I was paralyzed with pain! At any rate, I'm three weeks out from surgery and am still trying to heal. There was a minor snafoo of sorts pertaining to my incisions...they weren't healing properly and 2 of them still aren't closed even though the staples have been taken out, but I just have to keep a close eye on them, no biggie.

Today I was seen by a GI nurse practitioner and we discussed by condition of Gastroparesis a little. At this point I'm considered as having a moderate case of Gastroparesis and, at this point, they can only manage it with medications and a Gastroparesis diet. When she showed me and my mom the diet plan, we couldn't help but laugh because there were things on there that I cannot eat (i.e eggs, 3oz of chicken, etc), so I will more than likely have to remain on a mostly liquid diet because my stomach cannot tolerate solid foods. I will go back and see her again in 2 weeks to discuss how the diet and this new medication she wants me to try has worked and we will go from there.

I really do appreciate all of the prayers that I know many of you are saying for me. I cannot fathom the amount that is going up for me, some by people I do not know or do not know well. I SINCERELY appreciate everything, every thought and prayer that everyone has had for me over the last ten months. I wish that there was a way that I can express my gratitude better, but I know that there isn't so I will just simply say: Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for everything!

I know that God has a plan and a purpose behind this illness. In this time of trial He will become glorified while I, as long as I cling to Him and rely on Him, will become more refined than gold. Knowing that is the only thing that keeps me going. I may not always say the right things and I may have moments where I get a little whiny and depressed, but I am only human and will break down; but in my weakness He is stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment